Saturday, October 4, 2014

            Orientation on October 3rd, 2014 at the MET School

     Yesterday, I had my first opportunity to visit the MET School at 325 Public Street. Although I have heard a lot about the school and its Open Learning Programs, I had never had the chance to visit it. 
     
       First Impressions were very good with the quality of the open style of the buildings, upkeep and the maintenance of the grounds, and in general a peaceful learning environment right in the middle of an area that is challenged by economic and social issues. The lack of graffiti alone spoke volumes of the love of the school by its students. I have not seen any public or private school go through its lifetime without the usual senseless and destructive tagging by its students or outsiders in the neighborhood. We were served a quick lunch which was made by the students and staff of the MET, and not only was it tasty, but healthy as well.

       Meeting Dennis the founder was itself an experience of almost going back through the sixties in manner of dress and language. I was extremely impressed by the man and by his message of education. His message really had an immediate impact upon me when he said that, "We build our education around the Individual Students." I think that Public School Educators should take a lesson from him. He referred to the Traditional Method of Education where you have an educational structure and then mold the students around the process. This is what I went through, and it was repressive, authoritarian, and more bent on discipline then on being a center for Open Education and Learning. Dennis'es message is more like an education built upon the strengths and weaknesses of the Individual Students, and not like forcing a round peg into an educational system built more like a square hole. 

      While my brothers and I made it out of the Central Falls School System alive, their were times when I asked the question, "Am I failing the School System, or is it failing to properly educate me?" I graduated with a B average because I rarely missed any classes, and my memory was pretty good. But even back then with a Principle that demanded that you conform to his Educational System or be run over by a cement truck, which he kind of resembled. All three of us have been successful in life if you measure it by the quality of our character, and willingness to give back to the community in time and in financial support. Measuring by the old method of success by accumulating wealth was not our primary goal in life, but we achieved that too.

       I am glad that I made the choice to tutor in a Non Traditional Charter School, now that i have seen up close and personal the quality and dedication of the Teachers and its Students. Each of the Four Learning Centers is more of a close-knit family then of an Educational Learning Center. The success rate of 89% graduates and 11% drop-outs speaks for itself. I will have more to speak about in the coming semester year, but I wanted to share my first impressions with my fellow future teachers. So far there is Shay and myself from our FNED-346 Class, but there is another orientation with others from this same class. All in all I am excited and looking forward to learn and participate in this coming years tutoring in the Met School in 2014.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment